Monday, December 17, 2007

Our Medical Fiasco part1

Let's start at the beginning.

December 17th 6pm.

I had just finished making shepards pie for dinner. Bryon and I were in the bedroom talking when Sam starting crying. He gets picked on a lot so neither one of us were concerned. Then Rebekah came in saying that Sam was bleeding. He had been playing in the garbage can and grabbed one of the opened cans I had used for dinner. I picked him up and took him to the kitchen sink to clean up his hands. I could see the blood, so I set him on the counter and tried to get him to let my put his hand under the water. While I was fighting with him Bryon walked in behind me. "Whoa, you have the wrong hand!" He told me. Blood was dripping down my back from Sam's other hand. The cut was pretty deep and after 20 minutes of applying ice and pressure, we decided to take him in. To avoid the huge co-pay at the ER we took him into Riverton to an urgent care. He LOATHES the doctor so he started crying as soon as the nurse came to check it out.

He was worried that Sam has severed a tendon, but after careful inspection (Sam screaming the entire time) the doctor felt that we were okay. I had to hold his hand in soapy water to clean the wound for about 15 minutes. I ended up with a wet lap. He is surprisingly strong.

I asked him if he wanted me to sing a song. Of course. I sang everyone I knew to get him to stop crying. He was calm when the nurse and the doctor started to prepare to stitch him up.

As soon as the doctor starting to give him the shot to numb him, he started screaming again. But instead of just crying he was yelling "Song! Song! Song!" It was sooo sad.

I watched for a minute before I realized that I was blacking out. The nurse heard me start breathing slow and looked over at me "Whoa mom, I think you better lay down." So as my baby is yelling for me to sing him a song as the doctor is tugging needle through his finger, I am laying down trying very hard to not loose consciousness. I have never been queasy so this really ticked me off.

They put a splint on his finger after 5 stitches and said he needed to leave it on for 24 hours. He had it all off, including the bandaid before we got home.

I had to stay laying down, with him on my chest for another 15 minutes before they would let me leave.

No comments: