Friday, January 30, 2009

Balance

Can there be none????

This month has been crazy at work. I have had a ton of stuff going on and considering how much time I spent sick, I really needed to get on top of things. After a highly successful Health Fair, meetings galore and some disciplinary action taken care of, the week topped off with me getting Employee of the Month. Feeling pretty good.
Then Rebekah called and told me she left her book report form at school. Of course it was due today, so she had to scramble to get the info from a classmate so she could at least hand something in. Ethan was sick on Monday and told me he didn't ever get his homework folder. He even went so far to tell me he didn't have one. Did I call the teacher to make sure? Of course not, I had four meetings this week.
It always seems like it is work or family. It can never be both. I had some serious thoughts about quitting last night because my focus has been so much on work that I have slacked off on my real responsibility. Unfortunately, funds won't allow such a drastic action in these economic times and the doctor would not recommend that for my own sanity.
So, how do I be a good mother and a good employee at the same time? Right now I haven't a clue!!! My house is a mess, my son is still in his PJ's, I have a couple of hours of meeting notes to type up and my kids are failing school (meaning they are getting B's instead of A's). I can't seem to be good at both.
I think this is the reason I was prompted to not continue with school. Can't handle more than one thing.
My goal went out the window yesterday (after 6 days) when I had to drive into work twice, put the kids in daycare twice and got yelled at by 15 people.

Whatsa poor woman to do?

4 comments:

Lyndee W. said...

I hear ya. I'm an office manager for a dance studio and it seems like people don't care if it's your fault or not, they just want someone to yell at. Unfortunately, you're the closest so you get the brunt! In your case, you probably get the brunt because your the sup and people pass it to you! Sorry it's been crappy...hopefully things get better.

NatPalmer said...

Hang in there! It's tough to be a working mom. I've done it before & found it hard to balance everything too. You're a good mom. :)

Unknown said...

I know getting a B in elementary school was devastating. I couldn't even get a job because it went on my "permanent record."

Riss said...

I remember this feeling vividly. It seems like you aren't good at anything because you are spread so thin. I only made it through because Scott got the job with the mine and I got to quit. I don't how to balance it. I sympathize though. As a woman, I don't think that you will ever feel like you get it right but try to find a place where you feel like you are enough. I swear there is a hormone produced in our bodies specifically designed to induce guilt. It has no other purpose. If you figure it out, post it so everyone else will know too.

Love ya