Saturday, November 19, 2011

Oh the wonders

This week was NUTS! I really think the powers of the universe got together and decided to dump everything in 2 days. I was able to rearrange one of those days for the funeral but the next day was a nightmare!

Friday I thought was going to be my rest day.

When the kids got home, the plan drastically changed.

We had to go shopping and then pick up Bryon for my cousins wedding reception.
Ethen and Sam have been wanting to buy a lego set together so they have been trying to earn and save money. Only 2 bucks to go, Ethen was on a rampage trying to get it earned so they could buy it when we went to the store.

He was doing laundry for me when he fell down the stairs taking a new load down.
The kid falls a lot. I used to say that his brain was cushioned by scar tissue from all the times he hit is head as a baby.

He has a pretty shrill scream. I am sure the neighbors heard when he hit. I heard him crying out "I can't! I can't" Little weird.

He managed to climb up most of the stairs before he stopped. I talked to him for a while to find out what happened. He had tripped and ended up hitting his head against the bookcase at the bottom of the stairs.

Two giant goose eggs developed.
This isn't anything new. Like I said, 3 boys=lots of falls.

I started to get worried when he told me the TV looked like he was cross eyed. Dizziness followed. We ended up taking him to the doctor just in case.

He had a hard time not falling asleep in the car, and I kept talking to him to get him to stay awake. He did lighten up from Lethargy when the doctor started all the neurological testing asking him all sorts of funny questions.

Diagnosis- 2nd degree concussion. I didn't know there were varying degrees, but the lightest is when symptoms last 15 minutes or less. His were 30-45 minutes before any improvement happened.

As the doctor is doing his exam he asked if Ethen had hit his face. Nope. No blood out of his nose or anything. Nope. Well he had a broken nose. Really! Good times. Old injury, but the doc did recommend he get it looked at.
Jr. Jazz doesn't start till next month, but we have to take him back in for a follow up before he can play.

After giving us a packet of information, he came back in and asked us if he was lethargic. Big fat uppers on that one. This kid doesn't hold still unless he has a fever or something. The doc told us he was considering a CT because he still hadn't perked up much since it happened 2 1/2 hours ago.

On the hospital we went. Ethen was freaking out a bit about the test until I described it as Avatar! Sliding table going into a donut.

On the way there, I thought about him screaming and asked if he remembered saying anything. He didn't. Had we not already been on the way to the hospital, I would have started that direction. He had blacked out.

They were waiting for us and we had the fastest hospital test EVER!
We needed to wait for the results...20 minutes....

When the doctor called us he told us there was no evidence of bleeding. Great news. Then he asked if Ethen had been congested. Nope. No colds or anything. Nope, but we have all had the rounds of it the last month. Surprise! The CT scan picked up a whopping sinus infection. What in the fetch?

4 hours after the injury we made it home. Just in time for the reception to be over and the snow storm to start.

Never a dull moment in Buchmillerville!

1 comment:

Grandma Susie said...

I hope that the rest of your weekend is uneventful!! Be careful Buchmiller Boys!!