Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Mom's Silver Beaver Award

On March 4, my mom FINALLY received her Silver Beaver for scouting. It had been a long time coming (ever since Dad got his!).

We made the trek to Bountiful to see the ceremony. It was held at the same place as the kids play in September. Needless to say, they were not shy about running up and down "the cave" and walking all the way around the auditorium to go to the bathroom in the green room. It was funny that they were still so comfortable there. I guess with weeks of rehearsals you should know your way around.


The ceremony was a lot like church. We kept having to give out treats and shhh's to keep them all quiet. It was nice to have people around us that had kids as well.

Sam kept wanting to look at the program. He flipped through the pages of pictures and blurbs about each recipient. When he would reach the last page, he would get excited and point to mom saying "gamma, gamma". Then he would pick some random guy with graying hair and say "pappa, pappa". Funny. I guess he didn't wan to leave grandpa out.


After the clapping and yelling was over, we made our way to the sign in the hallway with her name on it for pictures. I ran into my bishop and young women's leader from my home ward that were there to support my mom. Somehow in the excitement of seeing them and catching up, I lost Sam.


Of course I freaked out and frantically started searching for him. Bryon and my aunts and uncles helped in the fiasco.

Bryon was the lucky one to spot him, next to a kind older man. He was excited to see daddy. The good Samaritan told Bryon that Sam wouldn't let him pick him up, but that he stayed right by the mans side until dad came.

I ranted for a while about my stupidity and the fact that it could have been so much worse.

Bryon of course made a profound statement about the entire thing. I was chattering about what could have happened. He said "Sure-in a room packed full of Eagle Scouts!"


Good point hunny. I guess the only better place to get lost would be in the temple.

1 comment:

DeVries Family said...

Interesting! I'm working towards my silver beaver as well...I think you have to be older to get it though...