Thursday, February 5, 2009

Reality

Not the bad kind.
We had SEP's last night. I was anxious to talk to the kids teachers because of my melt down last week.
Of course they are both doing fine. Rebekah has set some of her own goals to improve and they pretty much corresponded with my own. Her teacher asked if her spelling words were too hard. We told her they were hard, but if she studied them she would be okay. We got her IOWA test from the beginning of they year and she is above average on almost everything. She is reading 134 WPM (they are supposed to be 100 by then end of third grade). The teacher told me that all the 3's on her report card were just an indication that things are getting harder. She actually has to work at things now instead of acing everything without effort. I am glad. She will actually have to work at it now.
Ethen's teacher had nothing but praise. He writes better than most of the girls in his class and we all know that boy's handwriting is a lot messier than girls (unless you are me who writes like an elephant and Bryon who of course is organized and articulate). He is reading 36 WPM which is way above the majority of the class.
Both of their math skills are turning out to be amazing. They are getting 100's on everything, even without having been taught the concept. Ethen's teacher was surprised at how well he did on subtraction before they even began the segment.
Comprehension tends to be an issue to work on with both of them. Ethen's teacher was impressed that Bryons reads Summer of the Monkey's to him and he is so into it. She suggested some ways to improve his comprehension there. Rebekah reads so fast and so well that she doesn't stop to consider what she is reading. I think this had been problem since day one.

Anyway, the kids are doing fine. The new homework plan we have devised to ensure thier progress is going well for the first week and I need to calm down. Thanks for all of your comments of soothing words. I really appreciated them

1 comment:

Lyndee W. said...

Rebekah sounds a lot like me...reading so quickly. I read an entire book yesterday! It's always nice to have good feedback on your child's education. I wonder...can I give myself my own SEP? LMBO!

BTW, has Bryon told you I've kidnapped him several times this week? When you gonna get on facebook?