Monday, March 9, 2009

Emotions

From this...
To This.. After almost 5 years of various callings in Primary and getting rather comfortable in life there, I got released and put into the YW's Presidency. If I had thought about it, I would have seen it coming. Those subtle signs were hitting me for a while. I have become a hermit because of the solidity of my life. Though not without it stresses, I have become accustomed to my patterns. I realized this a few months ago, but have been reluctant to change anything. I also have done a great job in reconnecting with FOUR of my past young women leaders whom I love to death. Anyway, I knew that Bryon was going to be released soon, and I was worried because as long as he was the YM president, I was sort of immune to any big callings. Now I didn't have that problem, so when the call came for the interview, I was hit with the "Oh Crap!" feeling on anticipation and fear.
I felt stressed at first combined with the excitement of being in YW's. It has always been a favorite of mine, mostly because of the leaders I had when I was a teenager. Certainly not because of the girls.
I of course was reluctant to leave primary. I have taught the same group of girls for 3 years now and adore them all. Also, I liked the fact that I didn't have to prepare too much for lessons. I could rely mostly on my own testimony and knowledge of the gospel to teach 10 year olds.
Yesterday I found myself humming YM's songs instead of primary songs as I was getting ready for church so I guess the subconscious transition was made. The sorrow didn't happen until my release was announced and one of my girls sitting in front of me turned around in shock with tears in her eyes. That opened the flood gate and I cried for most of the rest of the day.
That could have been due to the fact that parents kept coming up to me and saying how their daughters got emotional when I was released or how the primary president made me stand up in opening exercises and started crying, or how the chorister had the children sing my favorite song to me while I"'basked in the beauty of it". Or maybe it was the "only 15 more minutes with you as my teacher sister Buchmiller, only 7 more, only 3 more. No more time. I love you Sister Buchmiller!"
I couldn't gain control most of the day.
I think I will miss watching Bryon perform his duties as YM president almost as much as I will miss primary. I know it sounds so highschoolish, but I adored watching him bless the sacrament and guiding the boys in preparation. Every time I got to witness his sacrifice for those boys I couldn't help but sigh in admiration. How lucky I am that I get to keep him. He rocks!!!
I am torn with excitement and regret as I embark on this new chapter of my life and hope that I won't lose my mind in the process. Thanks Aprill for having the confidence in me that I was lacking.



7 comments:

Unknown said...

You will do great! And if you stay in YW long enough your primary girls will be with you soon enough!

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. In the last 14 years, I have been out of primary for only about 6 months total.

It is time for you to do a little stretching beyond your comfort zone, but you will do great! I would have had a much better YW experience if I had someone like you there.

Lyndee W. said...

Ditto to the first comment! Not long and those girls will be with you. Even Beehives will mingle with the Mia Maid leaders! LOL. I will totally miss you, gf. I'm sorry I made you cry...but there's just something about music; it can bring back memories long forgotten with just a few notes; it can wrap its arms around you and envelope you with comfort; it can speack peace to your soul; it can make your heart smile. I wanted you to think of us every time you heard that song...and remember the time your drank it in as we all said goodbye.

April said...

I am sooo excited for you! YW is one of my favorite places to serve. And you have the type of personality that will draw the girls to you. They will want to be around you and be like you. You will be great!

Adria said...

I am soooo excited to have you in YW! I wish I was a Mia Maid. Too bad I won't be at camp! =( April and I joked that I could be the camp pro photographer. Wouldn't that be awesome!? You're the best for the spot, and I know you will fit it perfectly!

Becker Family said...

Ben is the YM president right now too, so I totally know the feeling of not having to worry about any big callings. I also know how it feels to be released from a calling I loved because of the people I loved. You will do awesome in Young Women's!! The girls will absolutely adore you. Like everyone said before - you are PERFECT for the job! You will have so much fun, and you will love the girls just as much as you love your primary kids. Good luck! You'll do awesome!

DeVries Family said...

Holy CRAP!!! I hope they are all prepared for what lies ahead...
I am so excited for you!!! Couldn't be a better calling for such a SPAZZZZZ!!!! They are truly inspired and the women you will serve with are BLESSED to have you!!!
Love you man...